Thursday, February 15, 2007

Single Malt Scotch

The Macallan 25yo 'Fine Oak' (43%, OB, 2004) was the first in this range of new Macs that really made my heart beat faster. Wonderful complexity - even thought it's definitely not a sherry monster.Nose: Sweet and polished with a good deal of sherry, it seems. Smoke and organics.Ah, now I get some fruits in the background. More 'bakery aroma's and 'good grain' later.A lovely rich fruit cake sweetness fills the room. Next: leather and meat. Quite spectacular.Then the organics reappear in full force - a nice surprise. Spices. That means extra points.Taste: Not quite as big and sweet as I expected. Light, dry and ever so slightly fruity.The palate doesn't really match the nose and I'm afraid it loses one or two points here.Score: 85 points - I had it in de lower eighties until the nose caught a second wind.Phew, finally a 'Fine Oak' expression that's sort of up to the 'old' quality standards.
Technorati Profile

No comments: